Thursday 29 March 2007

Feeling a bit peckish?

Since healthy snacks play a pretty important part in our household, I thought I would include a post of a snack that we really enjoy. I call these Energy Orbs (I used to call them energy balls but since watching Long Way Round, I can't refer to anything we eat as balls anymore -don't ask!). They are made by processing a variety of dried fruits, seeds and nuts together with some cinnamon and a bit of orange juice. I have used all different combinations but I prefer to keep the flavor predominantly of dates and almonds with that hint of cinnamon and orange. For these ones I used about equal amounts of dates and almonds ground together, added some ground raisins, a bit of oat bran, cinnamon and orange juice. I then rolled them in ground flax seeds. ( I usually like to use carob powder but didn't have any handy, ground coconut is also nice) We keep them in the freezer and they make a handy snack for park days and hikes. Why, they're so good even the dog likes 'em. ;-)



I also completed one sock made with Regia Classic color from Funknits shop on Quadra Island. Yes, yes I know, still have to knit another one before it can be considered a FO, but any knitting progress feels good right now so I am pleased. Anyway, here's a picture of it.

7 comments:

Nicola said...

Lovely sock, Heather - I will definitely have to knit more socks, and I will be making them longer in the leg - the extra warmth is worth the work.

Know what you mean about balls - I finally finished watching Long Way Round last night and that huge vat of animal testicle stew was quite disgusting!!!

Samantha said...

Must not look at the lovely yarn. Must remember I am on yarn diet. (but sock yarn doesn't count, right?)

Your sock is lovely Heather! Your balls look good too. heh heh...

Heather said...

Samantha - you won't be able to convince anyone of your sweet innocence when you put your comments in writing(not that you had us convinced anyway), now there is written proof of your dirty mind.

Samantha said...

And once again you misinterpret my innocent little laugh...

Katherine said...

Love the sock, Heather. Seeing just one sock in your photo made me think of the Barbie clothes post you made using the doll that only had one leg... is this one- legged thing becoming your trademark?

Katherine said...

Oh, and Heather, just for your information when you post that even Smokie likes them as if this gives the recipe a really high recommendation well, it really isn't high praise, cause I have seen what else that dog will eat...

Heather said...

Poor, poor Smokey. He will be so sad when I tell him that you are doubting his excellent taste. You know, as far as dogs go, he has pretty good taste. I'll have you know he never eats other dogs' poo - and I think that is the only qualification for good taste in doggy world. Now just because you don't think eating raw meat could qualify as good taste....
;-)