Thursday 28 February 2008

Beans, beans, good for the heart....



Well, you know how it goes. Being British, Heinz baked beans were part of my childhood. (Navy beans in tomato sauce to the uninitiated.)

Sometimes, I'll buy the No Name beans - two of the kids really like them - but occasionally I'll try my own recipe to try and convert them to home-made (cos we all know that home-made is best, right?)

I bought this crock pot for $10 at the Sally Ann some time ago. I finally dragged it out of the cupboard and was glad to find that it does work and it was very handy for not only simmering the beans all afternoon (I love doing the preparation for a meal early in the day, it's so much better than leaving everything to the last minute) but also for keeping them warm so that latecomers to the table would still get hot food. (On a Taekwondo day, we often start eating dinner before R gets home from work to allow time for the food to settle before exerting ourselves in class. And the oldest is sometimes asleep when we eat dinner, as he keeps such odd hours these day.)

R and I liked this recipe, the kids were less keen! I'm posting it here anyway!!

Mum's baked beans

500 grams or about a pound of navy beans (small white beans)
one 13 oz can tomato paste (puree)
1 cup ketchup (I use PC organic)
2 tablespoons tamari
half teaspoon seasalt
quarter teaspoon black pepper
quarter teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
half teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (no anchovies)

Soak the beans overnight and cook the next day. I pressure-cooked mine for an hour.

Mix the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and warm through.

Combine the beans and sauce in a saucepan or slow cooker and simmer for 1 - 4 hours.

1 comment:

this is my patch said...

Great recipe Nicola, but I don't think it will be worth me going to all the trouble. John will only eat Heinz baked beans and if I try to trick him into eating another brand he can tell straightaway! x