Tuesday 19 February 2008

Stressed spelled backwards...

Of course you already know that the word 'stressed' is just desserts spelled backwards, right? Why be stressed when you can have this dessert with your tea today, like me? ;o)
I'm not sharing the original recipe here. What's the point? It's not like I actually follow the original recipe. I tend to modify recipes regularly and for once I actually wrote down the changes I made to the original recipe (aren't you impressed, Heather? I know you don't usually write down your recipe modifications, either ;o).

Tomato Chocolate Cake
Cream together the following ingredients:
1/2 cup Earth Balance (vegan margarine)
1&1/3 cup maple syrup (you can adjust the amount here to your taste)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup cold water
1 cup pureed tomatoes (I use my home canned ones)
Sift together the dry ingredients:
2&1/2 cups whole wheat flour*
1/2 cup dry cocoa powder
1 1/2tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
*depending upon the whole wheat flour you use, the batter may be quite thick - if this is the case you can add a little more liquid sweetner here or increase the amount of water. Try adding just a couple of tablespoons to see if you can thin out the batter a slight bit.*

Preheat oven to 350F

1. Mix dry ingredients into the creamy mixture until thoroughly combined.

2. Bake in a lightly oiled 9"x 13" pan for 35-40 minutes.

Frost if desired.


7 comments:

Heather said...

Well...I'd be a lot more impressed if I'd got a little sample of the cake. ;-)

Samantha said...

I agree with Heather. It doesn't really look that good so I think you might have to prove to us that it actually tastes good by bringing us a sample.
;-)

Heather said...

P.S - frosting IS desired - especially if it is the melted chocolate kind that Samantha makes.

Nicola said...

Oh how refined, a cup and saucer! Very pretty ones, too.

Mary-Sue said...

I"ll tell you, good thing you showed a picture! I'd already decided just looking at the photo that I HAD to have me some of that (and no, I won't be sharing either! i'm pregnant with a broken leg for pete's sake!!!) before I read the recipe. The ingredients sound absolutely dreadful! Like some kind of experiment gone wrong! But I was sold on the photo and I"m going to try it out as soon as I can stand up again... he he he

Louise said...

Crumbs, pardon the pun, I haven't ever heard of tomatoes in a cake? I like the word frost, we call it ice over here, but I guess it means the same thing! I hope you enjoyed it, it does look yummy. x

sheila said...

I'm with Heather and Samantha: I think I need a sample before I can wax eloquently with you...