Tuesday 27 March 2007

Mmmmm, Lentil Soup!


This is another weekly favourite in our house. I always make a big pot so I have leftovers for the next day (or for the rest of the week when my husband is out of town). Here is my simple recipe:
.
Heat up some chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil.
Add:
6 cups vegetable stock
1 1/4 dried lentils (rinsed)
1 tbsp Braggs (or tamari soy sauce)
some potatoes (Yukon Gold is best)
some pepper
.
That's it! Cook for about an hour to an hour and a half - until your potatoes and lentils are cooked. You can add in other veggies too - my original recipe called for carrots and parsnips. We prefer our veggies raw though, so we have a veggie plate with our dinner. Sometimes I add in some leftover brown rice which makes it a lot more stew-like.

7 comments:

Katherine said...

I love lentil soup and have made it a variety of ways, but never with potatoes - must try this! Thanks, Samantha.

Heather said...

I've never made it with potatoes either. Thanks for the tip.

Samantha said...

Yes, you must try this! It's very good!! I should have written that I use Yukon Gold potatoes too. They work best.

Andrea said...

Do you have to soak your lentils first? (you used dried lentils, right?) And I have a pea soup recipe that is very similar - that soy flavour just gives it a different twist than you are expecting and my whole family gobbles it down.

RJDK said...

Two bowls filled to the miniscus is usually sufficient for me. Garnished with a slab of buttery spread on some breadlike bun widget and you are golden. Salt and pepper to taste of course.

Better than traditional English trifle with friends.

Samantha said...

Hi Andrea,
yes I use dried lentils and no I don't soak them. I find they are ready by the time the potatoes are cooked.

Hi rjdk,
I'm glad you recognized where I got my title from. I thought Katherine might have as well...

Katherine said...

Oh, sorry! Little slow on picking up on the title's reference to that Friends episode. I'm assuming rjdk didn't say, "It tastes like feet..." when the cook was out of earshot (that was my favourite line from that episode). I start laughing just remembering...