Thursday 10 May 2007

Banana muesli bread

I have been experimenting with yeast-free bread as I would prefer not to have yeast in my diet at the moment. Today I made up this recipe and it was a success!

I had some muesli in a container in the fridge (if you don't want to search my old posts, the recipe is below) and I used this in the bread. Here's what's in it...

2 cups wholewheat flour
2 cups muesli
2 ripe mashed bananas
2 teaspoons baking powder
quarter teaspoon salt
quarter cup oil
2 tablespoons soyflour
three quarters cup water

Mix it all together and put the dough into a loaf pan. Bake it for 1 hour at 325 degrees F. When it's cool, slice and spread with Earth Balance vegan Buttery Spread.

Muesli:

2 cups steelcut oats
1 cup almonds (chopped up roughly)
2 cups raisins
8 dried figs or other dried fruit (remove the hard stalk and cut into pieces)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup hulled hemp seeds
half cup sesame seeds (ground up a little in a coffee grinder)

6 comments:

affectioknit2 said...

That bread looks yummy! Nice blog.

Teresa

Heather said...

That does sound good. I just bought a bunch of over-ripe bananas so I think I will make that and some more rhubarb cake. Thanks for the recipe.

Unknown said...

HI! i've been looking for a recipe for muesli banana bread and this one looks great; i really want to try it. i was wondering if the soy flour could be substituted for something else (eggs?) as i don't have any.

Heather said...

Hi Jessica

Yes, soy flour and water are a vegan egg substitute. You could certainly make this bread with eggs instead. You would just need to leave the water out of the recipe too.

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read this blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.