Wednesday 1 August 2007

Flooded with apricots


Before I show you some of my apricot harvest, I thought I'd start with this picture of my fuchsias. We have six hanging baskets of different colour ivy geraniums around our deck - they always do well even if I forget to water them for a day. The fuchsias were a bonus - an impulse buy at the garden centre back in May because they just look so pretty.




R picked loads of apricots this evening, filling boxes and bowls and bringing them in, along with numerous earwigs and ants. He tells me there are still many more on the tree - and we have another tree at the bottom of the garden which we haven't even looked at yet!


Some of the riper ones went into freezer bags, the slightly underripe were piled into bowls on the kitchen counter.


And another batch went into making jam. I used pectin from the bulk food store - I hope it works OK. I prefer Pomona's Pectin as you can use a lot less sugar and it sets well, but I don't have any right now.

I estimate that we have picked about 85 pounds of apricots so far!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! How lucky you are.