Tuesday 30 October 2007

Machine Applique

I'm working away on one of my "leaf" themed projects and decided to show you my progress. Here are some of the leaves after I machined appliqued them onto the background fabric. (If you want a closer look, click on the picture to enlarge it).

This close-up shot gives you a clearer image of the veins I've been stitching onto each leaf for added detail to my finished project.
In case you've never used your machine to free hand embroider ( in my example I did the leaf veins and also appliqued the leaves onto the background using this method); this is how I go about it:

1. I set my machine to zig-zag and then shorten both the width and the length of the stitch to close in the stitch

2. I use an embroidery needle on the machine along with a special foot which is meant for embroidery work

3. I drop the feed dogs (this last step allows me to move the fabric in any direction as the machine stitches - which is important for freehand embroidery)

* I also stabilize the back of the applique by putting some tracing paper underneath which after I finish stitching over, gets torn off. The paper seems to help form neater stitches.

I hope to have more to share on this project and my other leaf project later this week.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Katherine. The detail in those leaves is absolutely beautiful!

dutchcomfort said...

That looks absolutely wonderful! What kind of amazing machine do you use?

Felicia said...

Love them!

Heather said...

I can't believe the detail in the veins on the yellow leaf. You have such patience and attention to detail in all your projects. I guess that is why they always turn out so beautifully.

Roxanne said...

These are beautiful! Thanks for the tips...so are you doing this on a regular machine? It looks like your using a fancy shmancy embroidery machine!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Those leaves are fantastic!
Thanks for sharing your technique.
I've tried it a couple of times but, I didn't have a special needle or foot.
I'll need to look for those.
Can't wait to try it!

Kimberly :)

Katherine said...

Thanks to each of you for your comments. As I don't have everyone's email addy and therefore can't answer your questions to you personally, I thought perhaps another post on machine applique to show you just how easy it is? You don't need a special or elaborate machine. You are only using a regular zig-zag stitch. As long as you can change the length and the width of this basic stitch, you can applique.
I will see if I can put a photo tutorial together on this if you're interested?

RJDK said...

Wow Katherine!

Next time I cut myself I will get you to stitch me up. It would leave a much nicer scar than what I am used to. You can even use your machine if you want.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

(...raises hand and waves wildly)
Yes, please. May we have another machine applique lesson?

Also, is the special needle and foot called "embroidery" or does it have another name?

Thank you!
Kimberly :)

Louise said...

These leaves are so lovely and a great replica of the real thing. I look forward to seeing how your project is coming along. x

Debbie said...

Hello Katherine,

My name is Debbie (http://debbiepatch.blogspot.com) and I make patchwork and knitting. But everything by hand. I see yout tutorial for machine apliqque and I want to know wich machine you use. You have a very nice things... Merry Cristhmas!!