Sunday 21 January 2007

More about raw

Sarah left a comment asking about raw food. (And yes, my children are enrolled with Self Design. More about that another time.)

It was about four years ago that I read the book that I mentioned before, Nature's First Law, and by the time I finished it I was totally convinced that a raw food diet is the best one for our bodies. Cooking causes changes in foods that can create disease. Microwaving, in my opinion, is even worse. I googled "dangers of microwaving food" and the first link was this one - http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm
I have read a lot of Dr Mercola's articles and he talks a lot of sense.

Ever since I read that book, I have eaten more raw food than cooked, though the percentage has varied. In Spring, I am motivated to eat lighter and lose weight for the swimsuit days, Summer is pretty easy (we have fruit trees in our yard and I can fill myself up with free organically-grown cherries, apricots and peaches), but come Fall, the weather is cooling off, the swimsuit gets pushed to the back of the closet, and comfort foods call. December, with its attendant celebrations, is the lowest point with its traditional mince pies and gingerbread cookies. So it's a cycle, and though I understand it, I wish I could stick to 100% raw all the time.

I have completed two raw weeks out of the three that I promised myself. My will-power wavered last night but I distracted myself with fresh Medjool dates (they taste like caramel) and got through it. Today, I made a large batch of muesli, which will last for at least a week with my husband and I eating a bowlful each day. Recipe is below - I doubled it today as there are two of us eating it. (R, my husband, has another name for it - shitzli - thanks to its ability to, er, declutter the colon!!!)

Mix the following ingredients together in a lidded container and keep it in the fridge. If possible, use organic ingredients.

2 cups steelcut oats (grind them up a little in a coffee grinder or food processor)
1 cup almonds (chopped up roughly with a knife)
2 cups raisins
8 dried figs (remove the hard stalk and cut into pieces)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup hulled hemp seeds
half cup sesame seeds (ground up a little in a coffee grinder)

When you want some for a meal, scoop up a cupful (or less) and put it in a bowl and add liquid. Ideally, use raw almond milk or fresh juice (not commercial pasteurized juice - it has no enzymes). Leave to soak for a while - a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight if it’s for breakfast - and add fresh fruit just before eating. I add a sliced banana and a grated apple.

I recently read this book
http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Food-Detox-Diet-Five-Step/dp/0060799919
and it would be a good one to read if you're thinking of introducing more raw food into your diet.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hi Nicola! I'm loving this blog! And I am totally inspired by your muesli. I'll have to try that (only with some other kind of rolled grain as I can't handle oats.... its not some much the shitzli as it is the fartzli!