Here is a recent project I designed and sewed using some of my thrifted fabrics. I quilted the fabrics by machine, first free-hand and then echo quilted the rest of the surface. I thought soft, curvy quilted lines enhanced the impression of the bamboo- like fronds waving in a breeze. After quilting, I cut the mats to the size I wanted and stitched on some bias binding I made from a fabric I've had in my stash. I love to see how fabrics can unexpectedly coordinate! This is the reverse side of the placemats, which is also made from recently thrifted fabric (see earlier post in our archives). Fortunately, I have enough of this left over that I'm thinking of making napkins to match.