Sunday 15 July 2007

Beware the Zucchinis!!

It's that time of year again. If you invite me to your house (or meet me at the beach), it is most probable that I will try to unload ...er, I mean, bring you some lovely zucchinis. I'm about to head out of town again and I know that when I come back there will likely be at least a dozen baseball size zucchinis in the garden. A person can only make so many cookies, cakes, breads, casseroles, etc to use these giants up, especially when temperatures are in the high 30s and you don't really want to use the oven. I picked these ones and we will eat them sauteed with garlic tonight. But beware ladies...and get your recipes ready, because when I get back at the next beach day... the giant zukes are coming with me. ;-)
One of the side effects of having your own fruit trees is that by the time that tree is done fruiting you are pretty sick of that fruit. We have had fresh cherries, dried cherries, cherry ice cream and smoothie, cherry pie and cherry yogurt. We have put up loads of frozen pitted cherries for the winter and made cherry jam. We are pretty much done with cherries and were thrilled to get some fresh peaches at the market in Penticton yesterday, when we went to float the channel. They were wonderfully sweet and juicy, and since we only have one peach tree left we tend not to ever get sick of those.

4 comments:

Nicola said...

I can personally vouch for the quality of Heather's canning and the cherry jam was excellent on my toast this morning. Thanks!

Katherine said...

OK. We've been warned. Will dig out the recipes for using up zuchs!

Sounds like you've earned a get away with all the gardening/canning/freezing/drying you've been doing!

Nicola said...

Aha - I just thought of a good idea for my next knitting project - a zucchini bag! Just kidding - really!

Anonymous said...

It is tough to find new recipes for zucchini! You cut up a few and freeze them to use later on. I know what you mean about an excess of fruit. My peach trees had a bumper crop and I gave away as much as I kept :)