Thursday 26 July 2007

Roasted Zukes!

When reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle I was looking forward to trying out some of the recipes from the book. This is the first one that I have tried, their grilled vegetable panini. It turned out well. I would suggest that if you are making it you may want to use a wider, somewhat flatter bread than I did, I just used a multigrain baguette. It is possible that on the narrower, more tippy bread that, after you get all the toppings put on just so, and are about to put it in the oven it might just tip over, spilling all the lovely toppings (so carefully arranged) onto the element in your oven. This might then make your house smell like burning onions and consequently set off your smoke alarm (aka, in our home, the pizza-is-done timer). If something like this were to happen then you might have to fish out the burning hot toppings so that they don't get stuck onto your element forever and damage it. All this is just conjecture of course...not saying that this is what happened to me or anything.I have been desperately waiting for some local corn, not allowing myself to be tempted by the U.S corn that has been showing up in our local stores. I am a huge corn fan. My mom likes to tell a story of a two year old me, hiding out beside the cooler on a family camping trip and gorging myself on all the cold, leftover corn. Fortunately I have grown up and that is not a problem anymore, there is simply never any leftover corn.
I also picked up some orzo today so that I can make the Disappearing Zucchini Orzo recipe too.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Ohhh these look so good! I've to to try them!