Friday 3 August 2007

Finished - a baby cardigan

This is the project I started on Tuesday evening - one of the knitting "lessons" from Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti.

I found a few things that irritated me about the instructions, which are written for intermediate knitters, and my gauge was a little looser that it should have been, but I am pleased with how it turned out.





The middle picture shows the colour of the "dusty green" yarn most accurately. This sweater was knitted from the neck down, not quite seamlessly (one works the yoke, the stitches for the fronts and back are left on stitch holders, the sleeves are knitted flat and seamed and then the body stitches are reunited and worked down to the hem).

There is a little bit of increasing at the lower centre back to allow for a diaper underneath. I noticed that my stockinette (stocking) stitch wasn't very smooth and I guess my knit and purl stitches aren't knitting to the same tension (I knit continental, yarn in the left hand) so that's another vote for knitting in the round.

I just have to find five buttons and find a baby to give it to!

No comments: