Thursday 18 October 2007

Scrap Attack

If you sew and hang on to all the bits and pieces remaining from your projects, you will end up with an assortment of scraps. I have a system of keeping mine in containers marked with the strip size to encourage using up my scraps. I got looking at a container full of plaid scraps that I've collected (not actually my scraps, but ones I picked up from another quilter...) and decided to put those lovely pieces to work. Here's my project that makes use of fabric scraps.

Sew them together to make strips, like this.
Quilt them and then cut them into a desired shape...
So you can make yourself a handy little bag such as this one.

12 comments:

Samantha said...

Katherine, that bag is amazing! What a beautiful way to 'recycle' your scraps!

Fantastic Five said...

Absolutely lovely, my gifted and talented friend! I love seeing the progression.

Dianne

Roxanne said...

The things you can do with scraps amazes me! This is beautiful!! I bet the other quilter that gave you her scraps is kicking herself right now!!

Nicola said...

What a lot of sewing, but worth the result!

Nicola said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

I like to see the progression too. Although I am still baffled as to how you can make a little box of scraps into something so lovely and useful. I keep looking at the pics trying to figure out how to do it and hoping that some of your talent might rub off on me if I study the picture long enough. :-(

this is my patch said...

This looks like a really useful holdall, I can't get over how you made those old scraps into something like this, you have some vision!

Anonymous said...

All I can say Katherine is "wow". What other people would have tossed, you have made into an incredible little gem!

Karen said...

How do you do it! What a resourceful lady you are to come up with this. It's a great use of scraps that many would simply throw away.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am in awe. Wish my brain worked like yours.

Denise Clason Studios said...

Hi Katherine,

You have really turned the Rikki Bag into a beautiful piece of art with the scrappy fabrics! It is fun to see how others get inspired to create bags from my book.

I invite you to join my yahoo group by signing up at my website:
Denise Clason Studios

I would love to share the photos of the Yorkshire Tote and the Rikki's Bag!

Denise
email

Denise Clason Studios said...

I'm not sure why the above links aren't working, here are the addressses:

www.deniseclason.com

email: denise@deniseclason.com

I would love to hear from you Katherine!

Denise