Saturday 19 January 2008

Back to knitting...

Garter stitch is easy and mindless (which can be useful if you want to chat with your friends, watch a movie or read a book at the same time as you knit) but it can also get a little, dare I say it, boring! I went at least two whole days this week with NO KNITTING. Instead I procrastinated and got my knitting fix from Ravelry.

The withdrawal symptoms drove me to pick up the Tomten Jacket again and persevere. I was starting to wonder whether 3 balls of the "celery" green Bernat Soy were going to be enough to finish the jacket, so just in case I interspersed some "oatmeal" with the green and used it for the hood too.

It looks a very odd shape when laid flat for photographing, but as you can see the body and hood are done. I am very pleased with the garter stitch grafting at the top of the hood. I made one of these jackets a few years ago and I don't think I had the instructions to hand, so it looked seamed. This time, you can't see the join. Elizabeth Zimmermann's book, Knitting Workshop, has the relevant instructions.



I turned it sideways so you could see the shaping on the hood. You can also see the armholes; stitches will be picked up on the two sides of the armholes, then the sleeves knitted down, decreasing in the centre down to the wrist. I'll knit those in solid green.

But for now, this project will languish in my knitting bag as I am going to cast on for something else. Definitely a case of "startitis".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice colours and comfy looking too.