Monday 5 May 2008

Blast From the Past

This is what has been playing in our CD player lately:

Wow! Does listening to these boys ever bring back fond memories!
At first, I felt a little bad for inflicting The Monkees on my son, but now he is requesting to listen to them. We seem to share the same taste in songs - he asks me to skip all the ones he's not crazy about and it turns out they are the same songs I would have skipped as well. Poor Davy can't even get out one word in I Wanna Be Free before my finger presses the skip button.
This CD is dominated by Mickey's singing, although there is some of Davy (including him saying "girl", and there is no one who says "girl" as cute as him). Actually, thinking back, I can only think of one song that Peter sang and none that Mike sang (but he wore a hat and had those awesome sideburns, so I'm not going to complain). Now if only our library would bring in The Monkees tv show...

10 comments:

Heather said...

I ordered it from the library when you mentioned it earlier, soon I will be able to inflict it upon my boys too. ;-) Now...I see that you are coming around to the "dark" side on the whole sideburn issue, methinks it is only a matter of time before you love Elvis too.

Samantha said...

All righty then! I will request some Elvis :-) Maybe I will even watch an Elvis movie (insert stunned gasp here) But he is no where near as cute as little Davy Jones :-)

Katherine said...

Too funny, Samantha! The only song of their's that I remember hearing is "Hey, hey, we're the monkees..." I guess I will have to borrow the cd to hear what else they have to offer.

sheila said...

Whenever I get music recommendations from pals in the UK, I'm always struck by how "pop-py" the music is (compared to over here).

The Monkees sound almost like some of these modern British boy bands.

(huh? modern? poppy? Next I'll be saying "whippersnapper" and "varmints")

sheila said...

Whenever I get music recommendations from pals in the UK, I'm always struck by how "pop-py" the music is (compared to over here).

The Monkees sound almost like some of these modern British boy bands.

(huh? modern? poppy? Next I'll be saying "whippersnapper" and "varmints")

affectioknit2 said...

That's so cool - I remember I had a Monkee's Tee Shirt when I was about 5 that I wore everywhere - I'll have to get the cd.

Amanda said...

We are really enjoying our copy of the cd that we currently have from the library. It's great how the music seems to be timeless because the kids love it too.

dutchcomfort said...

Nostalgia! I fell totally in love with Davy when I was a teenager. I loved to watch the TV show!

Samantha said...

A Monkees t-shirt! How cool is that :-)

Katherine, you def have to borrow it. there is so much more then their theme song!

this is my patch said...

I remember as a kid The Monkees being on the TV when I used to spend Saturday mornings around at my grandparents. Thanks for the memory. x