Wednesday 11 February 2009

Quick and easy from the bread machine

And did I mention delicious??

My hands are really sensitive to moisture, especially in the winter, so I try to stay away from things that leave my hands wet for extended periods of time.  This is why I'm so thankful for my bread machine, which mixes and kneads my dough for me - all I have to do is pull it out (knead a tiny bit of flour in if necessary) and plop it in the pan.  I was thrilled to discover a website full of bread machine recipes that actually turn out for me (and that don't cook in the bread pan because I prefer to cook my bread in the oven)

First up is:
Raisin bread.  Filled with sweet, juicy raisins and cinnamon, it makes for a delicious breakfast or snack.  The recipe can be found here.  Did I make any changes to the recipe?  Of course :-)  Instead of softened butter, I used an equal amount of olive oil (I usually don't think far ahead enough to soften butter but oil is always ready for baking).  I also used 1/2 whole wheat flour instead of all unbleached white flour and I always add the raisins at the beginning or else I find they don't mix as well into the bread.  Oh, and sometimes I add honey instead of sugar.  I love the wonderful scent as it bakes in the oven, and we can never resist having a slice (or two) as soon as it comes out.

The other recipe I've tried and loved:
It's officially called Crunchy Wheat and Honey Bread (and is found here) but we renamed it to Our Very Favourite Bread.  Changes I've made?  Same with the butter as above (sub in olive oil) and I omit the slivered almonds (allergies).  Also, I just make my own shape and put it on a cookie sheet - sometimes I do a round loaf, but it's usually oval - and sometimes I add in sunflower or pumpkin seeds.  No matter what, it's always turned out great!  Happy baking!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Yum! Those both look good, Samantha. The boys just saw the pictures and now we Have to make them. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I can just about smell them! We'll have to make a loaf of "Our Very Own Favourite Bread" to go with resh orange juice on our next visit to Arizona! What a lovely breakfast combination that would be!

I know it's a bit early but can I put in my birthday gift order now? A loaf of that bread!

Momma

sheila said...

Mmm. I think all a blog really needs is regular pictures of fresh bread. No words, even. Just pictures.