Wednesday 2 July 2008

Hot Weather Eating

What do you eat when the temperature goes past 30 degrees Celsius? I know I don't feel like standing in front of the stove cooking. So when it got super hot this week, I knew the only thing that I would be serving for dinner would be sandwiches and pasta salad.

The trick is to get up early enough (before it's too hot) to cook the noodles. After they cool, you can throw in any veggies you have in the fridge (here I used carrots, peppers, broccoli, cucumber, and peas). Other things I've had in my pasta salad are tomatoes, green onions, cauliflower, green beans and even chickpeas. The nice thing is you can add whatever you like. Add a bit of feta or other type of cheese, throw on your favourite salad dressing and let it all marinate until you are ready to eat. I did a huge bowlful here and it lasted for 3 days. And to really cool down, finish the meal with:

homemade ice cream! My husband has been on an ice cream making kick and here is a shot of chocolate chip mint ready to be scooped into a container for the freezer. It's the perfect way to cool down on a hot summer evening.

1 comment:

Mary-Sue said...

oh YUM, S! looks delicious! and what great ideas. thanks for the inspiration!
do you have an ice cream maker? that's something i've always thought would be worth getting. especially an old hand-crank one!