Wednesday 17 January 2007

Frog in a Blender Smoothie

What’s red and green and goes around and around at 60 miles an hour? A frog in a blender!

Hence the name of my new smoothie recipe - if you don’t fully mix it up, it comes out of the blender in streaks of green and purple! :-P

This makes about three and a half cups - a BIG serving for one person, or two smaller servings. (I weight-train and the glutamine is an amino acid that helps with muscle growth and recovery.)

1 cup almond milk (see below)
1 tsp spirulina powder
1 scoop (5 grams) glutamine
1 tblsp raw pumpkin seed butter (you could use raw almond butter or tahini)
2 bananas
1 tblsp maple syrup
1 tblsp flax oil
1.5 cups frozen blueberries

Put everything except the blueberries in the blender jug. Don’t be scared of the bright green colour - you won’t taste the spirulina once everything is mixed together. Blend until smooth. Add the blueberries and pulse until they are incorporated.

Raw Almond Milk

I have a Soylife soy milk maker (now Soy Quick)
http://www.biosupply.com/soy_milk_maker.htm
I used to make soymilk in it as per the instructions, and when my husband expressed a wish to minimise soy in his diet I tried making almond milk. It was OK, but would froth up a lot. Then it occurred to me that I didn’t need to heat it. The machine has options - grind only or heat only. So now what I do is soak the almonds (I use their measuring cup, but it’s probably about half of a regular cup) then put them into the stainless steel chamber with cold filtered water and set it to grind. The “milk” is ready in one minute! And it’s raw.

You could also put the soaked almonds into a blender with 4 cups of water and run it, slowly at first so the water doesn’t squirt out all over the place. You can strain out the bits before using the “milk” if you want.

The same method could be used with other seeds and nuts too.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hi Nicola
I found your blog through self design are you part of that too?
I am very interested in the raw food way of life and would love to know more about how long you have been doing it. I make a similar shake most mornings, except I add maca and dont add glutamine.
i look forward to "chatting" with you
Sarah