Friday 13 April 2007

Socks, wonderful socks


This is the sock yarn that I received from elann.com this week. It's Elann Esprit Print (cotton with a little elastic) in Fourth of July (you guessed it, the red, white and blue), Brazilia (the coffee and chocolate shades) and Canyon Sunrise (the apricot/peach shades). I bought three 50 gram balls of each, thinking that if I was going to make my sock legs longer than usual, I'd need more, but that sock took less than one ball even with seven inches of ribbing on the leg. Talking of ribbing, you just HAVE to see the photo of the guy in the T shirt that the Yarn Harlot posted the other day - ribbed for her pleasure, indeed!!!

Those pink aluminum needles in the photo are my favourite sock knitting needles - and they are 4mm, not too skinny, so the work grows fast. I started this sock on Tuesday night (during K's Taekwondo class - he goes from 6 - 7pm, I have my class 7 - 8pm, so I get some good knitting time in) and finished Thursday night. I made lots of socks last year and really enjoy wearing them, but you really need to keep knitting them as they do wear out (I have had to darn one pair already).

The pattern I use is from a library book - Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. Multiple sizes, multiple gauges - my gauge with this yarn and the 4mm needles is 6 stitches to the inch, so I cast on 48 stitches.

With the third ball, I could probably squeeze out a pair of runner socks - just the foot part, perfect for wearing with runners in the summer when you don't want to have white ankles!

No comments: