Saturday 16 June 2007

Robin Hood Bag.

Sometime ago (quite sometime ago...I'm a little slow when it comes to finishing knitting projects) we were reading Robin Hood and E decided that he wanted a bag. (to steal from the rich?) We decided a brown felted one would be nice ( I think I was felting something at the time and he liked it) so I started making him one out of bits and pieces of brown Siwash wool. Well I finally finished it yesterday and he is quite pleased with how it turned out. Aside from the fact that I forgot about it in the washer ( twice!?! ) and it got a little more felted than I wanted, I'm happy too, mostly because I am using up all kind of little bits of wool that I have had taking up valuable stash space. Now I am going to use the rest of the brown wool to make a felted belt for hubby that I saw in the Knitting With Balls book (hee hee) that Nicola has from the library.

Last month we were noticing a lot of aphids around our garden, now we are noticing a big increase in ladybug population. One of our plum trees is covered in ladybug larvae at different stages. I love seeing the ways that nature has of setting herself to rights...too many aphids, let's increase the ladybug population. Without our interference Mother Nature seems to keep herself very well in balance.

4 comments:

Nicola said...

Those bugs in the bottom picture look a little like Colorado potato beetles (http://www.oznet.k-state.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/colpotat.htm). We had them on our potato plants one year. Horrible things!
But of course if they are ladybugs, then they are our friends...

Mary-Sue said...

SO cool to see the different stages of ladybug beetle growth on here. Better than an encyclopedia! Thanks! Love the robin hood bag too. ALMOST inspires me to dig out my balls and get knitting. he he he

Katherine said...

Okay, we've seen the Robin Hood bag - now where are the pictures of homemade arrows that I'm sure he has been making?

Weird. I don't think I've seen the ladybugs in their wrinkly stage before. Not so cute.

Nicola said...

And after the Robin Hood Bag, a gift for the Sheriff of Nottingham aka darling Alan.