Friday 10 August 2007

Cable knitting


This is the leg of some experimental socks that I started yesterday. (Samantha's scarf inspired me to stop procrastinating and get on with some cables.) The yarn is Sirdar Snuggly, which is 55% nylon, 45% acrylic. I'm knitting it on 3.25 mm dpns at 7 stitches to the inch.

I haven't used this yarn before so am hoping that the 56 stitches I cast on will work for my feet.

The cable pattern is called Staghorn Cable from a stitch pattern book that I own. It's a shame the panel wasn't two stitches wider. As you can see, the rib on the left segues perfectly into the cable pattern but on the right they don't line up.

I was going to put the cable panel on the outside of each sock but then thought it might look good to have it going down the back of the leg and continuing on the heel flap. Hope it works!

It seems to be common to name one's sock designs, so I'll have to call these my Patronus socks - because Harry Potter's Patronus is a stag.

No comments: