Tuesday 13 November 2007

How's it going?


The 35 days of not complaining was going well. I put a note on the front of the fridge as a reminder - no complaining, criticizing, whining or gossiping. Some people (!) said I couldn't do it for longer than a day. I did it for about a week but over the weekend noticed myself slipping back into some of my bad habits. So if I'm totally honest with you, today is Day One again!

My family certainly enjoy having me around more when I'm not complaining or criticizing. I'm more positive, I take a moment to think about what I'm going to say, I'm careful to use an appropriate tone of voice when asking for what I want.

Because really, there's only a subtle difference between requesting and complaining....it's all in the emphasis of your words and the tone of your voice. Same goes for whining. It's about keeping it short without any blaming.

As for gossip, I've been wondering exactly what you'd label as gossip. When I'm talking about my day to my husband, telling him who I've been talking to, what the news is, is it gossip? I think it only goes into the realms of gossip if I start to editorialize, if I start to make assumptions, fill in the gaps when I don't have all the information, know what I mean?


I'll leave you with a couple of sunset photos. Have a happy day!

No comments: